Search This Blog

Friday, February 03, 2006

A small reflection on the purpose of research in the academic world…

A presentation by a graduate student really caught my attention concerning this issue. He said something to the effect that: “the original purpose of research was asking questions because we DON’T know. Why has science become something different?” And it seems like it has. It appears that scientists only research with defined parameters and hypotheses.


His research was all about asking question- because he doesn’t know! His committee had a hard time with this! It’s frowned upon! This idea was reinforced as I look through journal articles for chloride references, and the search hits on the narrowest of topics, such as the chloride and the effects of salinity on the survival of citrus saplings in Tonga, or chloride and aquatic insects outside of Liechtenstein… and so on.

It just seems like a culture has been created where you must so narrowly look at one subject, create one very narrowly defined experiment, and race to publish it. And the more essays published, the more funding and job offers, the more success. Which begs the question, "what is the purpose of research in the academic world today?" Is it to gain funding? Fame? A position?

Furthermore, what is the greater good in creating this narrow niche of work that can’t be applied to problems facing our world today?

I’m just feeling a bit disgruntled about the career and research options for scientists. (Not that I claim to be a scientist. A great pal at work said “I’m not a scientist, I do science for my job.” I respected that his life was not defined by his job, if that is what he meant. But there is also the lurking question of “who really is a scientist?” “who merits that title, what is accomplishment is necessary?” Certainly a Bachelor’s of Science is not enough!

So what is enough, then? I don’t know. As for me, it doesn’t matter. Science, or pseudo-science, is what I do right now. I am thankful for the opportunity and the enjoyment I receive from it, while remaining mindful of what truly matters.