Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Dance, dance, dance

"Why do girls love dancing?"
-Andy

Dear Andy,
This is a thoughtful question that one can't answer standing still!
I've been thinking about it since we were a two-steppin' last Saturday.
Why do I love dancing?
There's something about a beat, especially when combined with chords of a banjo,
mandolin, or guitar that makes me want to move.
My hips want to sway, my arms ache to swing, my head needs to bob!
I just want to .... release? let go? express? be a fool? be seen?

When I was young, I was so fearful about dancing in front of people.
Well, actually, when I was really young I was in dance class through community education in my city. Tap, ballet, and jazz, oh, and lyrical! It was a blast. But entering middle school, there was no rhythm in me to sway to R&B at the dance. And I actually still lack a lot of sense to certain types of music-- even now I get stiff or awkward. But other types just instigate a groove I can't deny!
Click on the "dance, dance, dance" title (from a Steve Miller Song which supports this letter) for an excellent example of sweet-bluegrass-need-to-danceness.