Search This Blog

Thursday, July 29, 2010

In the morning when I rise

This morning, I am reading the Bible because
(a) I want to feel good about myself
(b) I want to check it off my list
(c) because if I don't I will feel guilty and shameful and "disconnected" from God
(d) I know my soul needs it
(e) because I always do it
(f) I want to be able to share I did if anyone asks
(g) Maybe I'll read something that I can share with coworkers
(h) Maybe I'll read something I can meditate on through the day

Are these the reasons I should be reading the Bible? (Because, you know, I should be reading it!)

After discussing church and life with friends/duplex mates last night, I was reminded that I should read the Bible to get close to God. That's the main purpose: I should read it be drawn toward Jesus, to get more of Jesus, and to enjoy Jesus more. Knowing Christ, not just knowing about him, should be my prerogative when I crack open 'da book' in the morning. €
Or lunch time.
Or whenever time.

Oh Lord, make it so!