Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 05, 2014

The call on your life

To know your destiny is empowering. The discerning process, however, can be trying. Destiny is less with "this job, this city" and more about "this call, this purpose." Someone shared that the Lord had put Ezra, Nehemiah, and Esther on their heart for me. So I'm taking a look.

Ezra got to help lead the rebuilding of the Temple, after there had been a 70 year exile in Babylon. The ESV Study Bible Notes that stood out to me include:
*"Ezra called the community back to covenant loyalty and thus to obedience to the Mosaic law contained in the Pentateuch" (800). 
*"The pervasive concern. is the need for the community to remain absolutely faithful to the LORD because of the conviction that its very life depends on it. The knowledge that the LORD has already judged his people with a great exile is very present in the author's mind" (801).
*"Allegiance to the LORD demonstrated by due attention to worship"(801).
*"the keynote of worship is joy" (801).

Key ideas for me:
*calling back to covenant loyalty: including encouraging, visioning, acting for a higher purpose, a promise, to be faithful to the LORD and His ways
*absolutely faithful: no room for compromise, for settling, for indifferent or mediocre hearts
*due attention to worship: loyalty and allegiance is demonstrated by caring about worship and rebuilding the Temple. It's not a sentimental thing. It's demonstrative. It's real.
*the keynote of worship is joy. YES! Can I wear that around my neck? Throughout my life I've had people comment (in specifically spiritual situations and in day-to-day life) that JOY is a distinct characteristic in my life. I know I can be child-like (not childish!) as I enjoy little things, and get pretty expressive. Hearing about Ezra's commitment to worship- as a commitment to joy- I'm like "sign me up." Worship- that intentional turning and seeking God's face, coupled with intercession, fasting, weeping... in the midst of this is when I most feel my purpose is being fulfilled and I bask in His Joy. 

Oh Lord, please keep showing me your ways. How you've made me, and what you've made me to do. May it be for the praise of Jesus' Name! "No place I would rather be...than here in your love, here in your love God."