Search This Blog

Friday, May 29, 2015

Call me a ham, okay?

In some circumstances, I love to be the center of attention. In my family we called that being a "ham." At one point I lost my "haminess" and started going to Toastmasters, and regained that natural love of public gab.

I think I'm at a place where I can present confidently and authentically- but know I am a work in progress. I found these notes from a friend (thanks Margaret!) and am sharing the highlights so I can refer to this again in the future.

  • Cut down on background. For a 15 minute presentaton, background should be less than a minute. I know it's important to you, but NO. ONE. CARES. (Or they can ask you in the Q&A.)
  • Begin with the bottom line- it reigns in expectations and makes everyone happier.
  • Include a call to action before the "Questions?" slide. A call to actions keeps the momentum from the presentation and reinforces your bottom line.
  • And, from Toastmasters, "Take a breathe. Slow down. Smile."