Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Get Comfortable

Are we all insecure with our beliefs? Specifically, are we insecure that people believe differently than us? Yes. I think so. I think to a large extent we are threatened by these beliefs that are different than our own, even when the different beliefs are not actually threatening our own. Is it because we don't understand the other person? The Christian doesn't understand their atheist classmate, as the conservative doesn't understand their liberal cousin... And all of the misunderstanding lead to fear and assumptions.

This undercurrent of insecurity appears to be pretty constant, especially in our polar political climate. Therefore I was refreshed by reading this from Dennis Prager's article "Ann Coulter Wants Jews to Become Christian -- So What?"

"As a practicing Jew, I do not agree with Ann Coulter's theology any more than those attacking her do. But I am neither offended by her nor frightened by her or her beliefs. She believes that Christianity is better than Judaism. So what? Why is that in any way different from liberals thinking that liberalism is truer and morally superior to conservatism? Or conservatives thinking that their values are superior to liberal values?"

Prager's transparency is refreshing. Sometimes being candid about the elephants in the room-- such as our polar beliefs-- is just what is needed. And it reminds me to step back, and accept that it's okay for people to believe differently. I don't need to freak out or immediately become defensive, my natural response. I don't need to be fearful when my co-workers are secure in their belief in evolution-- as I am secure in my belief in creationism. I guess I am arguing for a holistic tolerance-- one that accepts not just the politically correct queer student group but also the so-called politically incorrect pro-family group.

Is this possible?

And even more importantly, is this Biblical and honoring to God?