Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Quotidian

In my GRE studies I ran across the word 'quotidian.' What a good word. So in order for it to be cemented in my brain, I dusted off the blog. It induced a coughing fit (A year of sitting around will do that) but I think it's good to be back rambling & thinking & processing the world in light of the gospel in this format again-- it's almost like talking out loud. I'm more accountable to what I say.
So here it goes...
I would argue that the gospel is quotidian. That is, the gospel belongs to each day. Each and EVERY day. It's not just a Sunday thing. Everyday I need to belong to the good news that Jesus is for me-- 100% for me-- and that his death and life opened the way to forgiveness and hope and joy and fulfillment in God. This daily "appropriation" of the gospel (As Jerry Bridges says) is NECESSARY. And the constancy of it does not make it commonplace or ordinary-- not in the least! Rather it increases my joy, because as I know myself more and more (and the depth of my sin and unbelief) I am more and more amazed at God's mercy to me...Mercy that is quotidian.