Search This Blog

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Part 1: Whatever does not come from faith..

Is sin.

So says the verse. What does Paul mean? I'm going to try and unfold this through a few blog entries. Just to clarify this wrestling in my head, this attempt at understanding works and faith.

Daily, I see and hear about good works of unbelievers. What are the spiritual implications? Namely, if I believe that good works do not save a human being from God's wrath, how do I live like that? Do I affirm the good work of relieving suffering, or teaching English, building hospitals and schools, or being loving and kind? Or should they be condemned because they are not coming from faith?

I think some of my confusion comes from the fact that I often function under the illusion that my good works/prayers/service/enthusiasm, etc., somehow save me! Ouch. That is a painful confession. While my mind knows they don't, my thoughts and actions don't reflect this! Daily I need to clarify the gospel: Christ's work on the cross that pays for my sin, and transfers his goodness into me. I am justified by Christ, and declared righteous through Christ. Whoooh. Relief. There are no burdens at the Cross.

If my life rests in the gospel COMPLETELY, I will not be living under the illusion of salvation through works. I will live in the freedom and clarity of salvation by grace along through faith alone in Christ. And from this foundation, love will pour out in good works. Jesus said "that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven." God's glory is the point. Not my salvation. Not my status.

It seems like that purpose is twofold: good works that do help people (they are not just a facade) and ultimately, God's glory. I wonder if in the seeing of good works, might these people be experiencing, too? Maybe they are benefiting from your good works. Maybe you are serving them. Or maybe they are just seeing from a distance that God's love makes you do crazy things. Like touch lepers in love and service. Like sell your house and give all your earnings away. Like moving across the globe to share His story. Why would anybody do that? There must be something to this God.

And there is. There definitely is something to Jesus Christ. Gripping his gospel is my first step in understanding how 'whatever does not come from faith is sin.' More to come...