Search This Blog

Friday, September 18, 2009

Videos=Understanding

Give me immediate comprehension.

I don't want to wade through gobbily-gook. I get frustrated if a concept is simple, but I don't get it right away. Especially with technology. (I remember being 12 and not understanding the difference between email and the internet...it was a rough spot, but I got through it. Thanks, Susanna).

But with all the new technologies out there, new concepts are constantly entering our vocabulary. Wiki, blog, tweeting... new words into the world, full of possibility (and responsibility).

How do you make sense of it all? I just found out about Commoncraft.com, which is using technology to explain technology. It's a beautiful thing. It breaks down concepts and you don't even have to read! You just watch a video. How fitting for our sound byte culture-- a 3 minute video.

Good communication is good communication, plain and simple. I was excited to learn about commoncraft and think this concept could be applied at my work and in many other venues. Who wants to read a 10 page orientation packet? Watch a video and comprehend in half the time!

However, it is good to provide information in a variety of forms, for all the different learning styles. Reading, watching, listening...All of it. Bottom Line: if it's important, you need to understand it. So, hurray for new technologies! And hurray for taking a break from it!