Search This Blog

Friday, July 15, 2022

A dismantling

In these rambling words I hear my own lostness, 

a wondering, wandering confusion

What once was solid is disintegrating, plains are leveling

Mountains to valleys, fierce and unwavering

Right and wrong and black and white, dissolving. 


What is the narrow line of justice?

What road am I called to walk that will lift the burdens from my fellows

Carrying, lightening, lessing the hopeless void of despair

With the very light of God, that weighty substance which soothes like dew 

draping freshly as a garland upon a troubled mind


Without naming the territories under dispute 

The assumptions and promises held aloof 

Labeling the other, 

Building barriers against a brother, 

Language, culture, history, policy to politics, supremacy 


This is a prayer to gain wisdom. 

This is a plea to leave my comfortable privileged ignorance

And be clothed with a new perspective, a fresh empathy toward understanding. 

A remaking of sorts, so that the long-Promised One, the Rescuer, might be seen and known through me. 

(And knowing my own weakness, I take no credit for this desire, but give glory to His goodness that surpasses knowledge).