Search This Blog

Saturday, July 14, 2018

Awaken: A prayer for my nation

cut across the rivets and rivulets
of time
to a gentler age
when elected men were respectful
and discourse was civil

thoughtfulness
you are not dead,
I recall you.

though the debate
is filled with hate
fill me with love
fill us

with love to bridge the gap
may not agree, but understand
never disdaining ‘the other’
but crossing the aisle for your brother

burnt out and enraged
blame and shame filling the page
the broadcast anchor
fueling a phobic anger

fear not,
I say again,
do not fall into fear
the labels,
party associations and campaign donations
taking sides
of sides
until the division has blinded all eyes

I bless instead and call forth unity
justice without impunity
full of weighty mercy

He who reigns rains on the evil and the good
to His Name my plea is understood
in this time and place
shine on this nation’s case
recall and restore and remake
unify
and awake
yes, awaken.

In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen.