Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 04, 2018

Heritage and Repentance

I love my nation, the United States of America. 
I didn't choose to be born here, but I was. 
And I'm thankful for it. 
So this fourth of July, I celebrate. And I pray. And I cry.
 I started this post a decade ago; I don't know why I didn't finish it. I just remember being so in awe after reading about a national apology. As a representative of his nation, the prime Minister of Canada apologized for trying to 'kill the Indian in the child'. 

This act was so needed. Yet does it sate the desire for justice? The colonial rapacious oppression? I'm angry at the legacy of racism and the perpetuation of stereotypes against first nation peoples. I'm angry my nation and northern neighbor had these evil policies.

It seems right for the government to apologize, to no longer sweep such actions under the rug. But is it enough? Is it repentance? 


Corporate repentance for cultural sins is mentioned in A. Scott Moreau's book on Spiritual Warfare. This is when "a person or a group of people, repents on behalf of a people or nation. This is called identificational repentance, meaning that the person or group is identifying itself as an appropriate representative for the people or nation that has sinned."
 

It's the fourth of July, the signing of the Declaration of Indepenence, the 'birth' of the USA. How do I, how do we, repent, forgive, and live in light of this? 

Father God, have mercy.
I repent for my nation's evil sins,
the church's part in destroying culture
in dishonoring and assisting in efforts to exterminate people groups
for destroying languages
for warring and stealing land
for perpetuating lies
for continued subjugation
for laws, policies, treaties and promises broken
for every evil, oh God, I repent, on behalf of myself, my forefathers and my nation

Oh Jesus, High Priest and Intercessor, have mercy
Bring a new day
Let Your light dawn in the First Nations
Remove addiction
Bring wholeness
Restore families
Bring reclamation
Shout new hope 
Herald in new life
Bring lover's of You into every life, releasing the gospel contextually 

Oh Holy Spirit, bring new songs and dances
Creativity and prosperity 
Entrepreneurship and opportunity
Education and dreaming Restore honor
Release peace into every home
Release freedom into every soul
Restore the combination: to be First Nation and a Lover of the Creator and His Creation
In Jesus' Name.